Center for Surgery and Public Health
Brigham and Women’s Hospital
Established in 2005 as a joint initiative of Harvard Medical School (HMS) and the Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH), CSPH’s mission is to advance the science of surgical care delivery by studying effectiveness, equity, and value at the health system and population levels, to inform policy, and to provide support for faculty and trainees committed to excellence in surgical health services research (HSR). CSPH’s expertise in HSR also informs its work in addressing the burden of surgical disease in lower- and middle-income countries and resource-poor settings.
The Center for Surgery and Public Health (CSPH) seeks a Research Scientist for the project, Military Health System Response to COVID-19 (MiHReC19). This project will use quantitative and qualitative methods to analyze the impact of COVID-19 on the military health system and will produce multiple peer-reviewed publications. The Research Scientist will be primarily responsible for day-to-day study management, and will participate in discussions regarding methodological, analytic, and budgetary decisions.
The Research Scientist will support the Principal Investigator through all phases of the research process, partnering with investigators from the time of project inception through research protocol development to dissemination and reporting of findings. The role will provide overall strategic, day-to-day management to ensure critical deliverables adhere to project timelines, as well as involvement in research design, analysis, and implementation. Key responsibilities include activities in the following areas: team and resource management, organization of study start-up (writing, literature searches, electronic data collection tools, broad study organization), oversight of the development of study protocols and data management, preparation of documents and reports to the Institutional Review Board; dissemination of findings including manuscript and presentation development.
In consultation with the PI and research team, the Research Scientist will lead and assist in writing, reviewing, and revising research documents. He/she will work with Principal Investigators to conceptualize and create diagrams, figures, and tables for proposals, manuscripts, abstracts, and other research deliverables. The Research Scientist will be a resource for manuscript development and provide content for other research deliverables such as progress reports.
Required Education, Experience, Skills:
An advanced degree (MPH, MHS, PhD, or ScD) in health care related field or equivalent full-time experience (3-5 years) performing health services research, planning, or evaluation in a responsible position. Working knowledge of mixed methods research is preferred.
The candidate must demonstrate strong analytical and advanced writing and comprehension skills. He/she must have excellent organization and time management skills and ability to work independently. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record in study management. He/she must demonstrate excellent communication, and interpersonal skills, ability to interact effectively with all levels of a research and clinical professionals. Candidate must be able to lead projects through to completion.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the coordination and implementation of all current and future research design processes and study protocols at one or multiple sites
- Assist and direct the development of project plans, timelines, and deliverables
- Track and manage all project related issues
- Support the coordination, management, and analysis of data
- Assist in development of analysis plans and research protocols and data use agreements in collaboration with study investigators, programmers, and statisticians
- Assist/participate in data analysis, interpretation, and presentation of results
- Support manuscript development
- Manage and coordinate IRB guidelines and confidentiality requirements for assigned research projects
- Support in the development and preparation of grant proposals and templates
- Identify, define, and develop funding sources
- Manage and advance multiple projects simultaneously
- Apply consistent approach and delivery consistent quality across engagements
- Executes procedural, managerial, and policy decisions made for all studies
- Includes maintenance of regulatory protocols and IRB requirements
- Identifies study modifications as needed and works to implement solutions
- Participates in scientific writing which includes grant writing, proposals, and manuscripts
- Participates in introductory statistical analysis with oversight from statistician
- Serves as the primary contact for outside vendors and stakeholders to ensure efficient operation of study activities
- Responsible for the oversight of all study supplies, equipment, and files
- Has direct management responsibility and training for all study personnel
- Directly responds to inquiries regarding study protocol and policy
- Responsible for data collection, validation, and maintenance, including database development
- Manage logistical and administrative aspects of the project; compliance to budgetary and reporting requirements; compliance with Institutional Review Board submissions and revisions
- Performs administrative tasks, such as creating meeting agendas, scheduling meetings with colleagues and stakeholders
- Conducts literature searches to inform research and grants
- Other duties as assigned
- Excellent interpersonal skills are required for working with the study staff and participants
- Ability to navigate and solve problems independently and creatively
- Excellent organization skills to ensure timelines are achieved
- Good verbal and written communication skills that display professionalism
- Experience with IRBs at academic institutions or other regulatory work
- Experience working with study participants or patients is preferred
- Experience writing progress reports and grants strongly preferred
- Must possess aptitude for budget management
Responsible for supervising and training study staff (i.e., Research Assistants) and working with Research Fellows and Statisticians to ensure project delivery deadlines. Must be able to orient and train new staff members.
Reports to Joel Weissman, PhD, Andrew Schoenfeld, MD and the CSPH Administrative Director
The environment is fast paced and might require evening and weekend work around deadlines.
Interested applicants should send their cover letter and CV to Melissa Poleo, MS, Administrative Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.