May 21, 2020
JOB TITLE: Senior Biostatistician
REPORTS TO: PI/Administrative Director
DEPT: Center for Surgery and Public Health/Department of Surgery
Established in 2005 as a joint initiative of Harvard Medical School (HMS) and the Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH), CSPH’s (Center for Surgery and Public Health) mission is to advance the science of surgical care delivery by studying effectiveness, equity, and value at the health system and population levels, to inform policy, and to provide support for faculty and trainees committed to excellence in surgical health services research (HSR). CSPH’s expertise in HSR also informs its work in addressing the burden of surgical disease in lower and middle-income countries and resource-limited settings.
Under the supervision of CSPH Faculty Leadership and with direction from faculty Principal Investigators, the Biostatistician will be responsible for performing primary analyses for multiple health services research projects. They will be responsible for transfer of data from various data sources, cleaning and merging the data into workable data sets and on occasion merging the primary dataset with other data sources. They will work with senior CSPH Biostatisticians/Epidemiologists and Faculty to design analytic plans and then perform these analyses in a rigorous fashion. He/she will have responsibility for assuring that projects are proceeding according to plan and helps develop recording systems assuring the flow of data is tracked in an accurate and timely fashion. They will also oversee use of our biostatistical server that is primarily managed by a database manager.
- Responsible for the transfer of data from the data management company, cleaning and merging the data into workable data sets.
- Interacts with other collaborators to merge the primary dataset with other data sources.
- Performs the primary analyses under the direction of CSPH Faculty.
- Assures that projects are proceeding according to plan and helps develop recording systems assuring the flow of data is tracked in an accurate and timely fashion.
- Provides statistical support to CSPH Faculty and, if time and resources permit, other Faculty members as necessary to the CSPH mission and vision.
- Designs and performs analyses.
- Writes complex programs using SAS, as well as other statistical and analytical software packages.
- Meets with study investigators regularly to review the execution of study design and data collection performs interim statistical analysis.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities at the supervisor’s request.
- A master’s degree, such as MS in biostatistics, public health (with quantitative focus) or equivalent degree is required. Candidates with a PhD or doctoral degree in a relevant field may also apply.
- Experience with large databases analyses and claims data is essential.
- Experience with hospital patient information data, such as Meditech data, is preferred.
- Excellent knowledge of SAS programming and statistical analyses. Knowledge of additional statistical software such as STATA or R are a plus
- Experience with developing and reporting clinical research project plans, specifications, schedules, and technical parameters to management.
- Must be deadline oriented.
- At least 5 years of specifically related work experience
- Excellent communication skills-both oral and written.
- Demonstrated statistical/analytical and reasoning skills to perform high level problem solving.
- Has thorough understanding of analysis, coding, testing and project methodologies.
- High level of confidentiality must be maintained.
Interested candidates should submit their cover letter and resume to, Melissa Poleo, CSPH Administrator Director, firstname.lastname@example.org.